Saturday, 1 September 2012

Pat your weave ladies

So, I thought I would write a post about the weave I recently had in and my experiences with it. For those of you not familiar with weaves, it's basically having 2 or 3 rows of hair extension sown into you hair to give you  thicker or longer hair, or if you're me, just for the sake of having one! My hair is already pretty long and thick, but my friend was getting one done so I decided I wanted one as well to make my hair even thicker and longer. 

First off, they aren't cheap! Mine cost £90 for 2 rows of hair which is actually a really good price, even though it sounds fairly extortionate. Generally, they say a well kept weave can last for up to 3 months, and the lure of having Cheryl Cole like locks for 3 months was what made me decide to take the plunge. 

Although this sounds like an ideal scenario, in reality weaves take a lot of up keep, and if you're like me - ever-so-slightly lazy when it comes to maintenance, as I like to spend the absolute maximum amount of time in bed before getting up in the morning, a weave becomes a lot of hassle. Firstly, you are advised to only wash it twice a week, and for the majority of us who wash our hair more than that, it means a lot of faffing around in the shower trying to separate and wash different sections. You also can't leave a weave to dry naturally, which means spending some quality time with your hair-dryer, usually resulting in it overheating - as well as you. You are supposed to apply oil to the hair every day to lock moisture in, which has actually benefited my natural hair massively and introduced me to the wonders of Moroccan Oil, but that's for another day. 

I really enjoyed having a weave for nights out and special occasions as it just made my hair look so much bigger and gave me so many more styling options, although in reality, the same thing could probably be achieved through standard clip in extensions without all the above stress. For every day wear though, I grew tired of it pretty quickly as it was so heavy and difficult to put up, and I wear my hair up a lot for work and uni.


without a weave in
with a weave in
(as you can see, it just added a bit of extra thickness to my natural hair) 

I know overall it sounds like I have a pretty negative opinion of weaves, but like I said at the start, I really didn't need one, so in the end the cons outweighed the pros. However, if you have short hair and want a weave for length or thickness, they are absolutely a good choice if you don't mind all the maintenance. I have friends who swear by weaves and their hair always looks incredible! One last thing, DO NOT get a weave if you are going, or planning to go on holiday. Fake hair and salt water don't mix, which unfortunately I found out the hard way. 

1 comment:

  1. you've such gorgeous natural hair! i so could not be bothered faffing around with a weave, haha xx

    ReplyDelete